Step By Step Guide To File A Travel Insurance Claim
A travel insurance policy’s goal is to provide financial security after losses incurred during any unfavourable circumstances that could arise during your trip, whether it is domestic or international. Knowing how to make a travel claim on your insurance will help you ensure your insurance serves its intended purpose. Here is a guide to assist you in making travel insurance claims quickly and effectively:
Preparations for travel:
- Take pictures of all your papers and valuables and store them securely on your email or Google Drive so that you always have access to them.
- Write down any information that can be used to identify your items, such as the model and serial numbers for your electronics.
- Make at least two copies of each of your travel documents, one for a family member or friend, and the other for yourself. Keep both sets separate. This is the best approach to take.
- Make sure your policy number and emergency contact information are readily available in case of need.
Claiming for lost, stolen, or damaged luggage:
- Within 24 hours of the incident, report any lost or stolen luggage to the nearest police station. A copy of this report is required as supporting documentation for your domestic travel insurance india
- If a police report is unavailable for any reason, some insurance companies may accept evidence from the manager of your hotel or your transportation company.
- You may also claim the cost of replacing necessities while your luggage was delayed. Again, your travel company may need to provide an evidence report for this.
Making a medical expense claim:
Before beginning non-emergency treatments, try to get in touch with your insurance company and get their approval. Keep the bills safe so you can claim the money when you get back. You are required to report an emergency or accident as soon as you can. Call the emergency number and be as specific as possible about your condition and your medical care. If you are unable to report the incident yourself, you can ask those who are travelling with you to do so on your behalf. Don’t forget to safely store all of the receipts.
Keep in touch with your company frequently throughout each stage if you require follow-up care from your insurer. This could guarantee that all expenses are covered. Check that the receipts you plan to use as evidence are properly signed, dated, and include the location of the hospital where you received the treatment. If there is an accident involving a third party, the travel health insurance company will also request a copy of the police report.
Making a cancellation claim with your travel insurance:
The most difficult claims to prove are those for paying for trip cancellations or cutting short the travel time. Your insurance company won’t approve this claim unless it is backed up by solid evidence.
You must provide written evidence in this situation as you must everywhere else. For example, if your trip was cancelled due to the passing away of a family member, present the death certificate. Present a police report in the event of a theft or burglary. If you are called to serve on a jury or as a witness in court, provide documentation to support your claim.
Putting in a claim:
Solicit compensation as soon as you can. Every company allots a certain window of time before you can submit a return claim. This usually happens 40–60 days after the day you returned. Most domestic travel insurance india companies allow you to complete the process online. Visit the website of your insurance provider to download the claim form. Send your properly completed claim form, along with any other necessary or pertinent documents, via email.
* Standard T&C Apply
** Currently, there are 2 tax regimes in India – new and old. To get the tax benefit you desire, choose the correct one after consulting an expert. You can opt for a regime change during the next financial year.
# Visit the official website of IRDAI for further details.
## All savings are provided by the insurer as per the IRDAI-approved insurance plan. Standard T&C apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions,
limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully
before concluding a sale.